HOUSTON — Editor's note: The attached interview with Texas Gov. Greg Abbott originally aired on May 14.
There are several free, drive-thru coronavirus test sites in the Greater Houston Area and some will test with or without symptoms.
Houston and Harris County
HOUSTON HEALTH DEPARTMENT
The Houston Health Department has two COVID-19 drive-thru sites and they have broadened testing to anyone wanting to get a test.
The tests are free to the public.
People can call the department’s COVID-19 call center at 832-393-4220 between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. to receive a unique identification code and instructions on where to go for testing and how to obtain their test results.
The week of May 26 the city, along with the Texas Division of Emergency Management, are setting up two additional coronavirus testing sites:
- Kingwood Park Community Center, 4102 Rustic Woods Drive, Kingwood. Operating May 26 and May 27
- Sagemont Church Annex, 11600 Hughes Road. Operating May 28 through May 30.
HARRIS COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT
HCPH encourages residents to get tested for COVID-19 if you feel you have it or have been in contact with someone who tested positive. We are prioritizing our first responders and healthcare professionals, especially those who work with vulnerable populations such as nursing homes, to seek testing as well. To sign up for COVID-19 testing, please visit http://covcheck.hctx.net/.
Schedule an appointment via phone: 832-927-7575
From there you will get access to a testing site near you.
CVS will open 44 new COVID-19 test sites at select CVS Pharmacy drive-thru locations across Texas by the end of May.
Patients must register in advance at CVS.com to schedule an appointment beginning Friday, May 22.
The new CVS testing sites in the Houston area:
- CVS Pharmacy, 26265 Northwest Freeway, Cypress, TX 77433
- CVS Pharmacy, 12550 Louetta Road, Cypress, TX 77429
- CVS Pharmacy, 15010 Memorial Drive, Houston, TX 77079
- CVS Pharmacy, 1003 Richmond Avenue, Houston, TX 77006
- CVS Pharmacy, 5402 Westheimer Road, Houston, TX 77056
- CVS Pharmacy, 2469 Bay Area, Houston, TX 77058
- CVS Pharmacy, 5603 FM1960 W, Houston, TX 77069
- CVS Pharmacy, 5002 West Main Street, League City, TX 77573
- CVS Pharmacy, 2232 Repsdorph Road, Seabrook, TX 77586
- CVS Pharmacy, 25110 Grogans Mill Road, Spring, TX 77380
- CVS Pharmacy, 8754 Spring Cypress Road, Spring, TX 77379
You'll find the complete list of CVS testing sites in Texas here.
More information about CVS Health and their testing sites can be found at their COVID-19 resource center.
Walgreens will operate two COVID-19 testing facilities in Harris County.
One will be in Houston at the former Walgreens store site at 14531 Westheimer Road and the other in Pasadena at 101 West Southmore Avenue. (Note: The Westheimer location does not show up on most online map services because it is a closed location. Walgreens is re-opening that site to conduct testing.)
These sites will provide drive-up COVID-19 testing through a self-administered nasal swab, at no cost to the patient. The guidelines for being tested at each of these sites align with HHS guidelines where testing is being prioritized for individuals that have symptoms and are/have:
- Healthcare worker with symptoms
- First responder with symptoms
- 65 or older with symptoms
- Those with pre-existing health condition with symptoms
UNITED MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER
U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee has teamed up with United Memorial Medical Center to open these free testing sites in the Houston area.
People who wish to get tested at these locations must bring a photo ID and insurance, if available. The sites do not require people to have symptoms to get tested.
- 7007 W. Fuqua; Stimely Ridge Library; M-W; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 510 W. Tidwell Road (UMMC Tidwell) -- Open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- 7525 Tidwell Road (Forest Brook Middle School) -- Open weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 6900 Scott (Cullen Middle School) - Open weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 801 Regional Park Dr. (Griggs School) - Open weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
6815 Rustic St., building b, HCC Eastside Campus parking garage) Weekdays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
LEGACY COMMUNITY HEALTH
- Legacy Branard, 401 Branard St., Level 3
- Legacy Deer Park Center St., 3430 Center St., Deerpark
- Legacy Fifth Ward, 3811 Lyons Ave.
- Legacy Lyons, 3811 Lyons Ave.
- Legacy Mapleridge, 6550 Mapleridge Street, Ste. 106
- Legacy Montrose, 1415 California St.
- Legacy Northline, 5598-A1 North Freeway, Northtown Plaza
- Legacy Santa Clara, 5616 Lawndale St., Ste A108
- Legacy San Jacinto, 4301 Garth Suite 400, Baytown
- Legacy Sharpstown, 6677 Rookin
- Legacy Southwest, 6441 High Star Dr.
- Legacy Central Beaumont, 450 North 11th St.
Legacy asks that you please call (832) 548-5226 first with any questions before arriving.
AFC URGENT CARE
Free tests only at these two locations:
Katy: 6445 FM 1463, Suite 230
Cypress: 9740 Barker Cypress, Suite 108
Patients will need to have an AFC TeleCare visit first for the screening process.
AFC Urgent Care will also come to businesses to test employees for a “small hourly fee” to cover the cost of their doctors. Any businesses that are interested in doing the onsite testing for their employees, can call Brian Faulk at 713-247-9344
(SCROLL DOWN FOR TESTING SITES IN NEARBY COUNTIES)
Find a drive-thru testing site
Fort Bend County testing sites
There are two free COVID-19 testing sites operating in Fort Bend County.
One site is in Rosenberg and the other site is in Sugar Land.
All the sites are open to residents of Fort Bend County. You are not required to have symptoms to be tested.
Testing Schedule: The tests are being done weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m
Appointments required: To schedule an appointment for either site, click on this link and fill out your information. If you do not have internet access, you can call (281) 238-2363 weekdays from 8 a.m to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon.
Following the pre-screening, a representative will be in contact to provide an identification code, appointment day, time and testing site address. Residents with appointments should bring their unique ID code to the testing site. Testing is done without residents leaving their vehicles and the results are available in three to five days.
Each site has the capacity to do 200 tests per day.
Montgomery County sites
Walmart is providing free testing on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. at three locations in Montgomery County.
- 20310 US 59, New Caney, TX 77357
- 18700 Highway 105 W., Conroe, TX 77356
- 1025 Sawdust Rd., Spring, TX 77380
Appointments must be made through eTrueNorth’s online portal at www.DoINeedaCOVID19test.com, which will screen individuals to ensure they meet CDC eligibility for testing.
Kroger is also providing free testing on May 31st – June 2nd from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 22296 Market Place Dr. in New Caney. Kroger asks that you register online to expedite the testing process at krogerhealth.com/covidtesting . If you are not able to register online Kroger will be able to register you on site.
Galveston County testing sites
Galveston County is partnering with UTMB to offer free COVID-19 testing for Galveston County residents.
Testing is available by appointment only and free to the public at three different sites in Galveston, League City and Texas City. County residents may schedule an appointment by calling 832.632.6731.
A government issued form of identification will be required at the time of testing to verify residency.
For more information on COVID-19, please contact the health district’s information line at 409.938.7221, open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Brazoria County has opened a free COVID-19 testing site at the Brazoria County Fairgrounds located at 901 S. Downing Street. May 26-29 only.
You must get pre-screened before showing up to the testing site. For prescreening, please call 281-824-1480.
If you meet the criteria for testing you will be issued a patient ID (PID) and directed to the Angleton Fairgrounds Testing Center. You will be asked to show your PID as the testing site.
There are no other free sites, according to the Brazoria County website, but some are “income based.” At the following locations, arrangements must be made in advance and all visits are treated as regular provider visits.
Community Health Network (formerly Stephen F Austin)
Cost is income-based. Must be pre-screened by calling 281-824-1480, press 2
- Freeport Community Health Center 905 N. Gulf Blvd., Freeport
- Adoue Family Health Center 1111 W. Adoue, Alvin
- 77511 Scarsdale Family Health Center 10851 Scarsdale Blvd. Suite 160, Houston
Houston Methodist Emergency Care Center Pearland; 713-363-8020; 11525 Broadway St, Pearland
Next Level Urgent Care Pearland: 281-783-8162 8325: Broadway St, Suite 220, Pearland (Only testing high-risk patients)
Options Urgent Care; 979-285-2273; 208 Oak Dr. S.; Lake Jackson
UTMB Health Access Center; 979-849-6467; After hours: 409-772-2222; 136 E Hospital Dr., Angleton
Chambers County testing site
Registration is open now for free COVID-19 testing in Chambers County.
You must register first by calling 512-883-2400 or online via TXCOVIDTEST.ORG
The testing is for:
- Chambers County Residents (symptomatic)
- Over Age 65
- Healthcare Workers/First Responders
Testing location - White’s Park located at 222 White Park Rd #220, Wallisville, TX 77597.
The testing center is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday starting May 3rd.
You must pre-register to get an appointment time.
Kroger continues free mobile drive-thru testing sites at two locations in the Houston area.
You must take a COVID-19 assessment online before getting tested at one of the sites. You can access the assessment tool here.
Once the site determines you need to get tested, you will be asked to schedule an appointment and choose a testing location near you. You will be asked to activate a patient portal where your results will be delivered.
PLEASE NOTE: You will need to bring your I.D. with you in order to get tested.
TESTING LOCATIONS IN THE HOUSTON AREA:
- Collier Regional Library
6200 Pinemont Drive, Houston
Operating from May 26 to May 30
- New Caney
11985 N, TX-99, New Caney
Operating from May 31 to June 2