Ahead of the tropical weather meteorologists believe will develop into a tropical storm or a hurricane, several parishes have designated spots where residents can pick up sandbags to shore up their homes against floodwaters.
Here are the sandbag pickup locations:
Sandbags will be available at Tangipahoa Parish Government's Public Works office, located at 44512 W. Pleasant Ridge Road east of Hammond and at the Roseland Public Works shop, located at 63101 Commercial Street in Roseland.
ST. CHARLES PARISH:
Sandbagging locations will be set up by 5 p.m. Wednesday at the following locations:
- East Bank Bridge Park
- West Bank Bridge Park
- Montz Recreation Park
- Bayou Gauche Road (at the foot of the bridge at the entrance to the island)
The EOC is currently accepting sandbag requests from the elderly and people with disabilities.
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH
Self- Serve Sandbag locations. Residents should bring a shovel and fill their own bags.
- Intersection of Bamboo Road and Indigo Pkwy (near Lake Pontchartrain Elementary)
- Railroad Avenue Fire Station (near Riverside Academy)
- Ezekiel Jackson Park in Garyville
- West Bank Complex
- Wallace, Edgard & Pleasure Bend Fire Stations
Pre-filled sandbags for elderly and disabled:
(8 am to 7 pm daily)
- 425 Captain G. Bourgeois, LaPlace
ST. JAMES PARISH:
- Grand Point Fire Station - 32122 Hwy 642, Paulina
- Lutcher Senior Center - 2631 Louisiana Ave, Lutcher
- Training Center on WB - 29126 Health Unit Street, Vacherie
- Welcome Senior Center - 7140 Park Street, St. James
- Gramercy Fire Department – 1502 N Airline Ave., Gramercy
To pick up sandbags from any of these locations, you must be a resident of Plaquemines Parish with a valid Photo ID. There is a 12 bag limit, and bags will be signed out.
- Eastbank- Braithwaite PROWN Shop
- Plaquemines Parish Government Building- Belle Chasse PROWM Shop
- Belle Chasse Heavy Equipment Shop - 192 Sewer Plant Road
ST. TAMMANY PARISH:
Sandbags will be available for distribution: Thursday, July 11, 2019 until 6:30 p.m, and
Friday, July 12, 2019 7:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m.
- St. Tammany Parish Government- Building C
21410 Koop Dr., Mandeville
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works- Airport Road Barn
34783 Grantham College Rd., Slidell
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works- Fritchie Barn
63119 Highway 1090 in Pearl River
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works Barn- Keller Barn
63131 Fish Hatchery Road, Lacombe
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works Barn- Covington Barn
1305 N. Florida Street, Covington
Sandbags will be available at these locations beginning Thursday.
- WPFD #7 –
17380 Bill Booty Road
- WP Public Works Location #2
Yacc Road (Hwy 10 west of Seven Mile Road)
- WP Public Works Location #3
801 Pearl St
ST. BERNARD PARISH:
Sandbags will be available Thursday, July 11 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the sandbag barn in the old Kaiser facility at the rear of the Port of St. Bernard in Chalmette. It will resume today from 5 pm to 7 pm.
St. Bernard residents must show proof of residency in order to receive sandbags, and there will be a limit of 10 per vehicle.
The following locations are open as of 3 p.m. on Wednesday, July 10 as self-serve sandbag locations. Please bring your own shovel, TPCG will provide sand and bags.
- Cannata's West - 6307 W. Park, Houma
- Airbase Softball Complex - 9544 East Main, Houma
- Donner Community Center - 361 Azalea Drive, Gibson
- Ward 7 Chauvin, 5006 Highway 56, Chauvin
- Bayou Black Fire Station, 2820 Savanne Road, Houma
- St. Ann Church, 4355 Hwy 24, Bourg
- Mechanicville Gym, 2814 Senator St., Houma
- Upper Dularge Fire Station, 1767 Hwy 315, Theriot, LA
- Pointe- Aux- Chenes Knights of Columbus Hall, 1558 Hwy 665, Pointe-Aux-Chenes
- Montegut Fire Station, 1105 Hwy 55, Montegut, LA
- Gibson East Fire, 5218 North Bayou Black Dr.
- Bobtown Fire Station, 4717 Hwy 57, Houma
- Village East Fire, 100 Development St., Houma
- Civic Center, 346 Civic Center, Houma
- Public Works - North Campus, 206 Government St., Gray
The Mississippi county will be handing out sandbags at several locations.
- Hancock County Arena – 4184 Kiln Delisle Road, Kiln
- Hancock County Old Complex – 3068 Longfellow Drive, Bay St. Louis
- Lakeshore Community Center – 6440 Lower Bay Road, Lakeshore
- West Hancock Fire Department – 16006 Washington Street, Pearlington
- Bayside Fire Department – 6215 West Hinds Street
- Diamondhead City Hall – 5000 Diamondhead Circle
Town of Franklinton - Available Thursday:
1108 Lenora St
City of Bogalusa – Available Wednesday
North of Austin St @ Youth Build
Avenue B Ballpark
Main Street Ballpark
Village of Varnado - Available Thursday
63095 Main Street