HOUSTON — Thankfully, the Houston area was spared from the devastation of Hurricane Laura, but our SE Texas and Louisiana neighbors need our help.
You can make a difference by donating $10 to the Red Cross simply by texting LAURA to 90999. If you'd like to donate more, visit redcross.org/donate or call 800-RED-CROSS. Ensure your donation helps people affected by Hurricane Laura by choosing that option.
Donations enable the Red Cross to help people recover from this disaster by providing food, shelter, relief supplies, emotional support and other assistance.
Here are some of the ways the Gulf Coast Red Cross is helping those impacted by Laura.
- They have mobilized more than 800 trained disaster workers to support relief efforts on the ground or virtually.
- As Laura made landfall on Wednesday night, more than 10,000 people were provided a safe place to stay in partner emergency lodgings, including shelters and hotels.
- Red Cross disaster health services and mental health volunteers are helping evacuees with replacing medications, eyeglasses and to offer emotional support.
- Red Cross volunteers are also supporting evacuation centers, which are sites dedicated to directing evacuees to the best sheltering option for their individual needs.
- The Red Cross will assist with damage assessment as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Prior to landfall, the Red Cross pre-positioned additional blood products to ensure hospitals are stocked to weather this dangerous storm and its impacts. Eligible donors are encouraged to give blood or platelets, if possible. Tap here for more on blood donations.