Breaking News
More () »

TIMELINE: Austin bomber confirmed dead

Here's what we know about the violent package explosions that have happened across Austin and Schertz.

Over the span of 18 days, four explosions have rattled Austin and a fifth has caused fear in the small city of Schertz. Two people have been killed and four injured by the explosives.

March 2, 2018: Man dies in northeast Austin explosion

At 6:55 a.m., police said they were called to a home in the 1100 block of Haverford Drive, near East Howard Lane and Harris Ridge Boulevard, in the Harris Ridge neighborhood. Police found a man, identified as Anthony Stephan House, 39, with critical injuries. He was taken to a hospital where he died just after 7:45 a.m. No one else was injured in the blast.

Initially, police said it was being treated as a "suspicious death," and that police didn't have "any indication that this is anything part of a larger scheme."

Credit: Courtesy of brother Norrell Waynewood
Anthony Stephan House

March 5: Austin's police chief says fatal explosion was caused by package

Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said at a press conference that the explosion that killed House was caused by a package. Investigators are still working to determine how the package got there and if House was the person who was being targeted.

Police said at this point that they believed that it was an isolated incident and not related to terrorism. The Austin Police Department said they didn't have enough information yet to call it a homicide.

Credit: Drew Anthony Smith
Police tape marks off the neighborhood where a package bomb went off on March 19, 2018 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Drew Anthony Smith/Getty Images)

March 12: Two package explosions within hours of each other

Just before 6:45 a.m. at a single-family home in the 4800 block of Oldfort Hill Drive near 51st Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, an explosion was reported. When law enforcement arrived at the scene, they found that the explosion happened in the kitchen of the home. A 17-year-old boy died from his injuries in the blast. A woman in her 40s was taken to a hospital. She is expected to be okay. No one else was injured in the blast.

Police later said they believe the two incidents are related. Manley said a motive in the two incidents remains unclear, but the victim in the first and second explosion are African American and they cannot rule out that the incidents were hate crimes.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is offering a $15,000 reward for information leading to the arrests of those responsible for the Austin package bombings.

The United States Postal Service told police that they reviewed their records, and they can confirm that the package did not come through the postal service.


‘This is somebody that has experience with bombs,’ expert says about Austin explosions

Deadly northeast Austin home explosion caused by 'package,' police say

'Innocent people are being hurt': Police say 3 Austin package explosions could be connected

Officials telling Austin residents 'DO NOT' open unknown packages after 3 explosions

Austin PD responds to more than 1,000 calls about suspicious packages

Austin police are issuing a warning to people who see packages outside of their home. Manley said in both cases, the suspect delivered the packages during the nighttime, and the victims found them in the morning on their doorstep.

Just before noon, another package explosion was reported in the Montopolis neighborhood in the 6700 block of Galindo Street near Riverside Drive and Montopolis Drive. A 75-year-old Hispanic woman was taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries. A woman in her 80s was evaluated at the scene but was not taken to a hospital.

Manley said it is not believed that this third package was left by an official delivery service, and they currently do not have any suspect or vehicle descriptions at this time.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is offering a $15,000 reward for information leading to the identification and arrest of the person or persons involved in the deadly package blasts.

March 13: Victims identified, police offering additional $50,000 reward

At a press briefing Tuesday, police identified the 17-year-old victim as Draylen Mason and added that his mother, who was also injured, is recovering.

A family member confirmed the identity of the 75-year-old victim as Esperanza "Hope" Herrera. Police said this victim remains in critical condition.

Credit: Courtesy of William Dick, Austin Youth Orchestra
Draylen Mason, courtesy of William Dick of Austin Youth Orchestra

Police announced that they would be offering a $50,000 reward for more information leading to the arrest of a suspect. That's in addition to the $15,000 reward being offered by Gov. Abott's office.

The APD also provided more information on the investigation of the first explosion on March 2, saying the department operated a major drug raid at a home that looked similar to where the explosion occurred. They said they initially believed this appeared to be an isolated incident due to the resemblance of the home involved in the drug raid and the home where the explosion happened.

They are currently investigating the explosions as if they are all related.

Credit: Livengood, Paul

March 18: Police increase total reward to $115,000, fourth confirmed explosion

Early Sunday, police announced they were offering an additional $50,000 for more information leading to the arrest of a suspect or suspects.

Hours after the announcement, Austin police confirmed a fourth explosion happened in Southwest Austin that they believe could be connected to the previous three explosions. Two white men in their 20s were injured in the blast but are expected to be OK. Police said they believe that a tripwire was used to trigger the explosion: a significant difference from the other reported cases, Interim Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said.

Police said more than 500 federal agents are assisting in the investigation, 435 leads have been called in, 236 individuals have been interviewed, and 735 suspicious package calls have been responded to.

March 19: We are clearly dealing with a serial bomber

Monday morning, Austin Interim Police Chief said the fourth explosion in Austin that possibly involved a tripwire suggested that the suspect(s) behind the violent attacks is more sophisticated than officials originally thought.

Chief Manley called the suspect a serial bomber, adding that they have seen similarities in the device that exploded Sunday and the other previous explosions. Police updated their warning to the Austin community to not only be on alert for suspicious packages but also bags, suitcases, and boxes that look out of place.

The Travis Country neighborhood was asked to stay indoors until 10 a.m. while officials investigated the neighborhood for other suspicious devices.

Police reported the number of calls regarding suspicious packages had grown to 849.

Credit: Dean, Kristin
Schertz package explosion 1

March 20: Exploding package at Schertz FedEx sent from Austin FedEx

A woman was hurt by the impact of an exploding package at a FedEx in Schertz, Texas, 65 miles southwest of Austin, and federal law enforcement agencies believe the incident could be connected to the string of violent explosions in Austin. The woman is expected to be OK.

Sunset Valley Police confirmed to KVUE's Jenni Lee that the package was sent from a FedEx Location on Brodie Lane to the Schertz FedEx, and Austin Interim Police Chief Brian Manley confirms that the package was intended to return back to Austin.

Chief Manley said the specific components of the devices makes him believe that all the incidents are related.

Austin police were called in at 6:19 a.m. Tuesday, March 20, to a FedEx Ground location in the 4100 block of McKinney Falls Parkway for a suspicious package. The package found at the FedEx facility west of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport Tuesday morning was a bomb, U.S. Rep Lloyd Doggett told the Austin-American Statesman.

A sixth explosion was reported Tuesday evening in southwest Austin. ATCEMS tweeted after 7 p.m. Tuesday officials were responding to Brodie Lane and West Slaughter Lane. Officials said a male in his 30s was transferred to St. David's South Austin with potentially serious injuries that are not expected to be life threatening.

Austin police said they responded to more than 420 suspicious calls between the hours of 8 a.m. Monday and 8 a.m. Tuesday morning, bringing the total number of calls since 8 a.m. March 12 to 1,257.

Police have responded to more than 1,000 reports of suspicious calls since the first attack.

March 20: Sixth explosion device not a package bomb, but an incendiary device: APD

Authorities responded to an incendiary device at a Goodwill store, an unexploded bomb at a FedEx center, and an explosion at another FedEx center.

8:10 p.m.: Goodwill announced it will close all of its stores out of an abundance of caution.

March 21: LIVE: Austin bombing suspect is dead after detonating self, sources say

3:23 a.m.: KVUE and Austin American-Statesman's Tony Plohetski confirms via sources the Austin bomber died after detonating himself with an explosive device.

3:06 a.m.: KVUE's Kris Betts reports APD, FBI were arresting suspect in Austin bombing -- the suspect donated a device, and shots were fired.

2:46 a.m.: APD said early Wednesday morning it was working an officer-involved shooting in the 1700 block of N. Interstate 35.

Before You Leave, Check This Out