VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — Tragedy struck Virginia Beach on May 31, when a gunman killed 12 and injured five at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center.
The police chief did not identify the suspect, but two law enforcement sources confirmed to ABC News that DeWayne Craddock, 40, is the alleged suspect in the shooting. ABC News said two law enforcement officials who'd been briefed on the investigation said Craddock recently was fired from his position as a city employee.
To honor the lives lost in the deadly shooting, the superintendent of Virginia Beach City Public Schools are encouraging students, staff and community members to wear blue on Monday.
The Virginia Beach Schools tweeted Saturday night encouraging its students to wear blue to "unite in solidarity with students, staff and community members."
Chesapeake Public Schools tweeted they would be joining Virginia Beach City Public Schools by also wearing blue on Monday.
In a Facebook post, York County School Division called on their community to wear blue on Monday.
Nansemond River High School in Suffolk tweeted they would show their solidarity with Virginia Beach City Public Schools and wear blue on Monday as well.
Here's a list of the victims who lost their lives in the shooting:
- Laquita C. Brown: Public Works employee - 4 years, Right-of-Way Agent, Chesapeake
- Tara Welch Gallagher: Public Works employee - 6 years, Engineer, Virginia Beach
- Mary Louise Gayle: Public Works employee - 24 years, Right-of-Way Agent, Virginia Beach
- Alexander Mikhail Gusev: Public Works employee - 9 years, Right-of-Way Agent, Virginia Beach
- Katherine A. Nixon: Public Utilities employee - 10 years, Engineer, Virginia Beach
- Richard H. Nettleton: Public Utilities employee - 28 years, Engineer, Norfolk
- Christopher Kelly Rapp: Public Works employee - 11 months, Engineer, Powhatan
- Ryan Keith Cox: Public Utilities employee - 12.5 years, Account Clerk, Virginia Beach
- Joshua A. Hardy: Public Utilities employee, 4.5 years, Engineering Technician, Virginia Beach
- Robert "Bobby" Williams: Public Utilities employee, 41 years, Special Projects Coordinator, Chesapeake
- Michelle "Missy" Langer: Public Utilities employee, 12 years, Administrative Assistant, Virginia Beach
- Herbert "Bert" Snelling: Contractor, Virginia Beach
The City of Virginia Beach listed ways individuals can help the victims of the shooting and their families. The city encourages individuals to either volunteer or donate. Click here for more information.