Josiah McIntyre died in early September, but recently, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found traces of the amoeba in the boy's home, a nearby fire hydrant, and the city's splash pad.
It also discovered the splash pad storage tank is where the amoeba was growing.
Assistant City Manager Modesto Mundo says the bacteria was able to thrive, because of low chlorine levels in the town's water supply.
“The city now accepts these results and the responsibility they bring with them,” Mundo said.
The water is now safe to drink, and they lifted the boil water notice a few days ago.