LEAGUE CITY, Texas -- The ex-husband of a missing League City mother has been charged with murder.

Shaun Hardy faces murder charges after the weeks-long search for 30-year-old Anne-Christine Johnson likely came to end Friday when police found human remains inside Hardy’s home.

Hardy was charged late Friday night with tampering with a corpse.

Anne-Christine Johnson’s mother has but one hope for the new year.

“I just want justice for her and that the perpetrator stays in jail for the rest of his life,” Stephanie Johnson said. “My most fervent prayer right now is that it was quick this time. It was real fast, and she didn’t suffer,” Stephanie Johnson said.

Anne-Christine Johnson, 30, was last seen on Thursday, December 8. 
Anne-Christine Johnson, 30, was last seen on Thursday, December 8. 

Anne-Christine Johnson was last seen on Dec. 8. Family members say she has two children, an 8-year-old and a 5-year-old.

Hardy was immediately a person of interest in the case given the couple’s volatile past. It included each of them filing restraining orders against the other in 2015.

Around 3 p.m. Friday, investigators arrived at Hardy's home with a search warrant for specific piece of property, but ended up finding the remains.

League City Police wouldn’t specify where in this house remains were found, but Stephanie Johnson says she was told in the garage.

Neighbors tell KHOU 11 News they noticed Hardy doing things differently in recent weeks.

“He always had his garage open,” said neighbor Lorenz Yasa. “And then, lately, he had it closed.”

It’s up to the Galveston County Medical Examiner’s office to officially identify the body.

Meanwhile, Stephanie Johnson says her other four other children are on their way to Houston to help her prepare for the inevitable news.

“I’ve been told by everyone else who’s gone through this situation that when you find a body, at least you know what’s happened, and you have some closure,” Stephanie Johnson said. “I just feel like that’s not true.”

According to jail records, Hardy’s bond was denied. We’re told he refused further interviews with police via his attorney.