Crews responded to an explosion in an underground electrical room at the Whitehall Hotel Friday afternoon, according to the Houston Fire Department.

HFD says electrical contractors, who were working for the hotel, were replacing a breaker in an underground electrical room when the breaker exploded.

Officials say three contract workers were in the electrical room when the explosion occurred, and two of them were injured.

One of them suffered significant burns and was transported tot he hospital. Officials confirmed he died on Sunday.

Officials say the other injured worker had burns to the hand and left the scene before he could be assessed.

According to officials, the explosion reportedly happened when the contractors were replacing a circuit breaker. They say one firefighter suffered a minor knee injury and did not remain on duty.