Breaking News
More () »

Shelter-in-place lifted following chemical fire at business near Bellaire

The shelter-in-place was lifted at 2 p.m. Saturday after the fire reignited.

HOUSTON — A precautionary shelter-in-place has been lifted after a chemical fire at a metal plating business near the Bellaire area, according to the City of Houston.

The shelter-in-place was issued just before 10:30 a.m. after the fire reignited around 9:30 a.m. at the business on Royalton, which is near Chimney Rock and Gulfton according to the Houston Fire Department. Those in the radius received a separate alert from the one issued by the city.

According to HFD's assistant chief, the fire and water runoff were both monitored as the fire burned early Saturday morning. Air conditions were never dangerous, and the shelter-in-place was issued as a precaution as crews stirred up smoldering materials inside the warehouse.

A person who lives near the warehouse, Connor McNamara, said smoke from the fire was pouring toward their home.

"When I found out about the shelter in place, I was freaking out at first because I was already standing out there for 30 minutes while the fire was going on and to find out it was a chemical fire the whole time," McNamara said.

Officials told KHOU 11 News that the metal plating company uses various chemicals and that a "comprehensive list" of chemicals was being put together. The shelter-in-place was issued as a precaution until the list was finalized.

Firefighters worked overnight to knock down the fire from above after the call escalated into a 3-alarm fire. Video from the scene showed a crowd of people outside, with some wearing uniforms, but it's not clear if the warehouse was open at the time.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation at this time.

FOLLOW KHOU 11 on social media for updates on this and other breaking stories: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

READ MORE: What to do during a shelter-in-place

Before You Leave, Check This Out