CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Just before 8:30 p.m., Saturday, a Texas DPS trooper was in a vehicle pursuit after a driver fled from a traffic stop.
Officers spiked the vehicle at Highway 281 and Terry St. which ended the chase, according to Falfurrias PD.
Officials said once the driver stopped, officers engaged the suspect who then shot at them, hitting a Texas DPS Trooper in the chest. The trooper was wearing a bulletproof vest, which protected some of the impact and left him grazed by the bullet. Officers returned gunfire, killing the suspect.
The injured trooper was transported to the hospital and is currently in stable condition.
Falfurrias PD said that the Texas Rangers are handling the ongoing investigation. Stay with 3NEWS for updates as more information becomes available.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Nueces Co. Public Defender's Office to open next year
- Attorney says motions to dismiss Tejeda murder case will be filed
- First 2022 sea turtle hatchling release scheduled for Saturday on Padre Island National Seashore
- Will electric vehicles cause strain on the Texas power grid? Transportation experts say no
- Nonprofit helps serve the community amidst tampon shortages
- Need to beat the heat? Here is a list of cooling centers in Corpus Christi
Want to send us a news tip?
Put your name and contact information below so we can get in touch with you about your story should we have questions or need more information. We realize some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you'd like to remain anonymous.
If you do not have a photo/video to submit, just click "OK" to skip that prompt.