The Texas Department of Agriculture is warning drivers of credit card skimmers after several were found at a gas station in northeast Houston.
The TDA inspector said six skimmers were located at a Valero at 7835 North Loop E. after receiving a complaint.
Houston police were notified about the skimmers and took them down.
TDA warned drivers using a credit card at gas pumps of these reminders:
- Use pump closest to storefront, in line of sight for store personnel
- Before pumping, check for unusual Bluetooth signals with ID of string of numbers and letters; might be a skimmer
- Check that security tape on pump cabinet has not been damaged. Torn tape might indicate cabinet opened without store personnel’s knowledge
- Safest bet is to pay inside with cash
- Always save the receipt and monitor your bank statements after filling up
- If you think you’ve been skimmed, contact 1-800-TeLL TDA and an inspector will be sent out to check
Here's Texas Commissioner Sid Miller with a few tips:
ALSO POPULAR ON KHOU.COM: