HOUSTON — Millions more Americans can now get a COVID-19 vaccine booster, and those eligible can now choose a different company’s vaccine for that next shot.
At first, only Pfizer COVID-19 boosters were available to those 65 and older and/or younger adults who have health problems or a job or living conditions that put them at higher risk of severe illness or exposure to the coronavirus.
Now, the government has cleared extra doses of the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines too. But who's eligible — and when — differs depending on which vaccine you got first.
If you got Pfizer or Moderna shots at least six months ago, you're eligible for a booster if you're at least 18 years old. Teens 16-17 years old can also get a booster shot of the Pfizer vaccine.
Anyone who got a J&J shot at least two months ago is also eligible. Click here for more info on booster recommendations by the CDC.
And in a bigger change, the government is allowing the flexibility of “mixing and matching" boosters regardless of which type people received first.
However, the CDC has endorsed a panel recommendation to get a booster of Pfizer or Moderna vaccines over Johnson & Johnson. They say the J&J booster can be considered in some situations. Click here for more info.
Where to get the booster shot in the Houston area
- Harris County Public Health -- Boosters are free for eligible residents. Pfizer boosters are the only ones available at this time. Appointments are recommended but not required. Click here to book an appointment and find a location. You can also call 832-927-8787.
- Memorial Hermann Hospital -- You can go to Memorial Hermann walk-in clinics to receive a booster of the Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Just make sure you bring a photo ID and your COVID vaccination card with you. Keep in mind that some vaccines may not be available at some walk-in locations. All clinics will be closed on Friday, Dec 31 for New Year's Eve.
- Houston Methodist -- Click here to book an appointment to get a booster of the Pfizer vaccine.
- CVS Pharmacy -- Click here to book an appointment for a Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson booster shot.
- Walgreens -- Click here to book an appointment for a shot from Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson.
To find other locations, you can search vaccines.gov, text your zip code to 438829, or call 1-800-232-0233 to find booster providers near you.