HOUSTON — Rice University has revealed its policy for people on campus in order to curb the spread of COVID-19.
Masks will be required indoors at all times and regular testing will be mandatory.
Here's a look at the policy, according to the University's website:
Face mask policy
Indoors: Masks are required indoors at all times for faculty, staff, students, and visitors with the following exceptions:
- When actively eating or drinking
- When students are inside their own rooms in a residential college
- When faculty, staff, and students are alone in a private office
- Faculty lecturing in a classroom are advised, but not required, to wear a mask. If they’re not masked, instructors must maintain a distance of at least 10 feet between themselves and their students. Unvaccinated instructors must wear a mask at all times.
Outdoors: There is no requirement for wearing a face mask on campus when outside.
Our large-scale testing program will begin again in the fall semester with Baylor Genetics, Methodist Hospital, and our own LAMP testing. Symptomatic testing will be offered on campus.
- Fully vaccinated people coming to campus coming into routine contact with others must schedule a test at least once every two weeks.
- Unvaccinated people coming to campus must test twice per week, regardless of whether they come into contact with other people.
Gathering Size and Occupancy Limits
Indoors: Indoor gatherings of more than 100 people must go through a review and approval process by the Rice Crisis Management Team, with the exception of Registrar scheduled classes. This is not to intended to prohibit large gatherings, but to ensure they are as safe as possible.
Outdoors: There are no gathering size limits on all outdoor activities.
Room Occupancy Limits: We will not reestablish the COVID-10 occupancy limits on rooms, nor will there be changes to university housing levels.
Rice Study Abroad programs, faculty-led programs, CLIC in-country programs, and the travel components of other academic programs (such as those run by the Center for Civic Leadership) are canceled for the summer. We are also not permitting student participation in third-party provider study abroad programs. Questions should be directed to the dean of undergraduates (UGDEAN@RICE.EDU).
There are no restrictions on faculty or graduate student travel.