CLEVELAND — The coronavirus has taken another swipe as the Cleveland Orchestra has decided to cancel their concerts March 12, 13 and 14.
André Gremillet, President and CEO of the Cleveland Orchestra, issued the following statement Thursday morning:
The Cleveland Orchestra has been closely monitoring the recent outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19) as well as the proactive approach taken by the State of Ohio in aggressively addressing the spread of the virus. Following yesterday’s report of the first case of community-spread COVID-19 in Ohio and the latest message and recommendations from Governor Mike DeWine and medical experts, the Cleveland Orchestra has decided to cancel its concerts scheduled at Severance Hall on March 12, 13 and 14.
The health and wellbeing of our audience members, musicians, and staff are our highest priority, and we believe cancelling these concerts is the best course of action for our community and stakeholders. This decision, which was preceded by our decision not to go on our international tour next week, will have a significant negative financial impact for our Orchestra.
We are especially appreciative of our generous patrons who will consider donating tickets, which they purchased for these concerts. Over the course of our history, The Cleveland Orchestra has navigated challenges and continues to thrive because of the strength of the Northeast Ohio community. Now as always, we are grateful for their extraordinary support.
The following options are available for those who purchased tickets for the canceled concerts:
- Exchange your tickets into any concert later in the 2019-2020 season or Cleveland Orchestra performances during the 2020 Blossom Music Festival. All exchange fees will be waived.
- Earlier this week, the Cleveland Orchestra canceled upcoming overseas concerts.
- Exchange your tickets for a gift certificate, which can be used at any time.
- Donate your tickets, and receive a tax deduction for the total ticket value. Ticket donations can be made at clevelandorchestra.com/donatetickets
- Receive a refund for the value of the ticket.
"For our guests who are considering ticket purchases for future performances, all exchange fees for performances through May 31, 2020 will be waived."
Ticket exchanges can be made until the end of May 2020. Their ticket office can be reached at 216-231-2111.