Breaking News
More () »

What happened the night Cpl. Galloway was shot to death

Court documents provide new information about the shooting in which Oscar Rosales has been charged with capital murder.

HOUSTON — New details are emerging about the shooting that left Harris County Constable's Office Precinct 5 Corporal Charles Galloway dead.

RELATED: Cpl. Charles Galloway died from gunshot wound to head, medical examiner confirms

Oscar Rosales, 51, has been charged with capital murder in connection with the shooting. He has not yet been arrested.

RELATED: What we know about Oscar Rosales, the suspect in 'savage' shooting death of Pct. 5 Cpl. Charles Galloway

Galloway, 47, was a 12-year veteran with Precinct 5. He was assigned to the Harris County toll road division and was working nights so that he could train deputies, Constable Ted Heap said.

Galloway is survived by his daughter, sister, and all of the law enforcement officers who were trained and mentored by him.

RELATED: Manhunt still underway for suspect in shooting death of Precinct 5 Cpl. Charles Galloway

New court documents shed a little bit more light on what happened in the early-morning hours of Jan. 23, 2022.

The shooting

The Houston Police Department is leading the investigation into what happened. According to court documents, HPD investigators were allowed to view bodycam and dashcam footage of the deadly shooting.

Investigators said that just after midnight, Galloway turned on his emergency lights to pull over a white Toyota Avalon, later determined to have been driven by Rosales.

According to court documents, the Avalon continued at a slow pace before stopping near the 9100 block of Beechnut Street. As Galloway was notifying dispatch of the stop, the driver stepped out of the car with a rifle and pointed it at him. Dashcam footage shows the driver firing multiple shots at Galloway, court documents said. After the shooting, according to court documents, the driver got back in the car and drove away.

Evidence against Oscar Rosales

HPD and Houston Fire Department units responded to the scene, where they found Galloway in his patrol car with multiple gunshot wounds. Galloway was pronounced dead at the scene at  12:50 a.m. His official cause of death was a single gunshot wound to the left side of his face, according to court documents.

According to court documents, detectives searched the plates on the Avalon and found that the vehicle is registered to Reina Azucena Pereira Marquez, with a listed address in the 5500 block of Calm Court, in Houston.

When investigators arrived at Reina Marquez's residence, they made contact with her and she claimed ownership of the car.

According to court documents, Reina Marquez told investigators that her common-law husband of 17 years, Rosales, picked up the car at about midnight and left his white Dodge Ram truck in the driveway.

Rosales told Reina Marquez that he was going hunting or shooting with friends, court documents say. Reina Marquez told investigators that she saw Rosales take two long guns from a safe before he left.

Reina Marquez was able to identify her vehicle and Rosales as the shooter in photos provided by investigators, court records said.

Accomplices charged

According to court documents, investigators found out that the Avalon was parked at an apartment complex in the 4000 block of South Highway 6.

According to court documents, investigators found out that a unit at the complex was registered in Reina Marquez's name.

Authorities arrived at the complex at about 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 23 and saw a man, later identified as Henri Mauricio Pereira Marquez (Reina Azucena Pereira Marquez's brother), wiping down the door handles of the car, according to court documents.

According to court documents, Reina Marquez said she met her brother at the apartment and that the cleaning supplies used to clean the car were inside the unit.

Reina Marquez and Henri Marquez have been charged with tampering with evidence in connection with the case. Court records show they were arrested on Sunday.

Finding Rosales

Investigators believe Rosales is still in Houston and are following up on every tip they receive. A $60,000 reward -- including $50,000 from Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta -- is being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Rosales. The chief said they have evidence that Rosales is known to disguise his appearance and they believe he is still in Houston.

KHOU 11 on social media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

Before You Leave, Check This Out