HOUSTON — A robbery at a jewelry store in Baybrook Mall on Saturday afternoon some shoppers thinking something much worse was going on.
Houston police said suspects using hammers broke into at least one glass case at Helzberg Diamonds around 1 p.m.
That commotion caused misinformation to spread on social media.
Twitter users asked about the large police presence.
Others went as far as to say there was an active shooter at the mall.
HPD clarified online that officers were investigating a robbery at Helzberg and there was no threat to the public.
Thomas Cunningham witnessed the smash and grab.
He tried to stop the suspects from getting away by chasing them out of the mall.
“I hollered at them and as soon as I yelled they dropped and they ran,” Cunningham said. “I knew I had to do something because when I heard them hitting that nobody was doing anything.”
This was the second weekend in a row that we've had a scare at a mall. Just last week, people were scrambling out of Memorial City Mall after a man jumped on a table and threatened to harm himself.
ALSO POPULAR ON KHOU.COM
- 7 shot after 'instant house party' started via Snapchat, police say
- North Carolina baby given deadly dose of Benadryl at daycare, police say
- Sex trafficking in Greater Houston: Warning signs for parents
- Man on walk finds naked, abandoned baby in woods
- From sandwich-maker to store owner, Katy man achieves 'American Dream'