HOUSTON — The man accused of shooting and killing Migos rapper TakeOff had his bond reduced during a court hearing Wednesday.
Bond had originally been set at $2 million for Patrick Clark earlier this month but it was reduced to $1 million after defense attorneys argued that the original amount was excessive and goes against the Texas Constitution. They also argued that Clark's family couldn't afford the $2 million bond amount.
According to KHOU 11’s legal analyst Carmen Roe, the Texas Constitution mandates that all prisoners shall be provided a bail that is sufficient but not excessive.
Clark's attorneys brought several witnesses to his hearing Wednesday, including his father who said Clark never got into any kind of trouble growing up. A bondsman also testified during the hearing to discuss the financial implications on the family.
Clark's lawyers said if he was released from jail on bond, they will work to comply with the judge's request for a financial background affidavit and GPS technology that would notify the court of any tampering or violation of bond orders.
Clark's lawyers ask when bond conditions are met, that he be awarded a $300,000 bond.
"Based on our review of that discovery, we feel comfortable that when the time is right that Mr. Clark will have a valid and meritorious claim for self-defense," his attorney, Letitia Quiones, said.
A judge has allowed $5,000 to pay a private investigator to help prepare Clark's defense.
One of the biggest issues, prosecutors said, is that they believe Clark is a flight risk since he was planning to head to Mexico after the shooting by applying for an expedited passport.
However, the defense team said Clark canceled his plane ticket prior to his arrest and told the private investigator he was trying to lease an apartment last month, proving he isn’t a flight risk.
Clark's passport was voluntarily surrendered on Wednesday.
Prosecutors called on their own witnesses during the hearing Wednesday and said they discovered video evidence linking Clark as the shooter in TakeOff's murder. The video allegedly shows Clark using his phone to search Texas laws surrounding friendly fire.
Also revealed in court was Quavo, another member of Migos and TakeOff's uncle, was part of the argument and fight that lead to the shooting. Defense attorneys and prosecutors said Quavo has not been cooperating.
The unexpected death of Kirshnic Khari Ball, better known as TakeOff, shook not only the hip-hop community but the world.
Nov. 1 -- Migos rapper TakeOff and his groupmate and uncle Quavo attended a private party at 810 Billiards and Bowling Alley in Houston. After the party ended, a group of more than 30 people gathered outside the venue. A dice game led to a heated argument and the shooting death of TakeOff.
READ: 'Please step up' | Houston police, mayor ask for public's help to find rapper TakeOff's killer
Police spoke to the public the day TakeOff was killed and pleaded with the community for help in finding TakeOff's killer. Investigators said all the witnesses who gathered after the private party ran away after the shooting and no one had stepped forward to provide them with information on the shooter.
"I just want to say something to our city. Houston and every brother and sister in the neighborhoods," Houston Police Department Chief Troy Finner said the day of the shooting. "I'm calling you to action, to step up. There were 40 people, at least, at this event and people left, possibly out of fear. I ask you one thing, and I want this to resonate with everybody. What if it was your brother, what if it was your son? You will want somebody to step up, so please step up."
Nov. 2 -- A medical examiner ruled TakeOff's cause of death a homicide. They said the rapper suffered "gunshot wounds of head and torso into arm."
Nov. 3 -- A nurse who lived down the street from where the shooting took place spoke to KHOU 11 and said she tried her best to save TakeOff's life but there was nothing she could do.
The nurse said she saw people running and thought it was an active shooter situation so she didn't want to go anywhere, but as things settled, she said she heard a scream.
"I'm thinking that's the victim. That's the person who's shot," she said. "It sounded like a cry of agony. It was a cry of agony but emotional not physical."
She later learned that cry came from Quavo. He was screaming for an ambulance and looking for help.
READ: 'I was scared, but I had to go' | Nurse who tried to help TakeOff after shooting says it was too late
Nov. 11 -- TakeOff was laid to rest at a memorial service in Atlanta. Big-named artists from the music industry showed up to pay tribute, including Justin Bieber, Chloe Bailey and Yolanda Adams. Dozens of fans were also in attendance.
Offset and Quavo spoke during the memorial service.
Still, no updates nor arrests had been made in TakeOff's death.
Nov. 12 -- A day after TakeOff was laid to rest, Quavo pinned a heartfelt message to his nephew on Instagram, calling him his "angel."
Dec. 2 -- HPD Chief Troy Finner, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner and others held a press conference announcing an arrest in the shooting death of TakeOff.
Patrick Xavier Clark, 33, was charged with murder.
According to court documents, Clark applied for an expedited passport shortly after the shooting and said he was going to Mexico. He had a passport and a large amount of cash when he was arrested.
Clark had his first court appearance on Dec. 2 where a judge set his bond at $2 million.
Dec. 14 -- Clark's bond was reduced to $1 million after defense attorneys argued that the original amount was excessive and goes against the Texas Constitution. They also argued that Clark's family couldn't afford the $2 million bond amount.