Breaking News
More () »

Grisly details emerge in murder of 6 kids, 2 adults

David Conley has been charged with capital murder after eight people were found in a northwest Harris County home.

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas – David Conley, 49, told Harris County Sheriff's investigators that he broke into his former home and killed eight people, according to a Harris County prosecutor.

Investigators said Conley admitted to breaking into the home through an open window after the woman he formerly lived with, Valerie Jackson,40, changed the locks on the doors.

Conley told investigators that he restrained eight people inside with metal handcuffs, including Jackson and shot them in the back of the head.

The identities of the victims were released in a press conference Sunday afternoon. They include, Valerie Jackson, her husband Dwayne Jackson, 50, Dwayne Jackson, Jr., 10, Nathaniel Jackson, 13, Honesty Jackson, 11, Caleb Jackson, 9, Trinity Jackson, 7, and Jonah Jackson, 6.

Nathaniel Jackson was apparently the son of Conley and Valerie Jackson.

Doctors at the scene of the 2200 block of Falling Oaks, near Veterans Memorial and Fallbrook Drive, said all eight victims suffered gunshot wounds to the head and died at the scene, the prosecutor noted.

Conley, who didn't appear in court, has been charged with three counts of capital murder and had bond denied--one capital murder count covers multiple deaths, another is for a person under 6 years old, according to court records. He was wanted on a warrant assault on a family member and is now being held in the Harris County Jail.

Conley was arrested Saturday evening after a standoff with police in the 2200 block of Falling Oaks, not far from Veterans Memorial and Fallbrook Drive, after Harris County Sheriff's deputies responded to the home for a welfare check.

After the standoff, deputies found the six children and two adults dead inside the home.

Chief deputy Tim Cannon said Sunday the incident is a tragedy with which the community is all too familiar.

"We're here today on a very sad day," Cannon said. "We're here with our brothers in arms standing behind us because we're all hurting. It's a difficult day for us at the sheriff's office. Once again, a tragedy has struck…our city. Our hearts go out to those…affected by this tragedy."

HCSO Spokesman Thomas Gilliland said when deputies arrived around 9 p.m., no one responded at the front door. They then received more information that indicated a man in the home was wanted on a warrant.

The sergeant on the scene called for a High Risk Operations Unit, similar to SWAT, to help make entry and investigate. While the call was being placed, deputies surrounded the home, and they spotted the body of a juvenile through a window.

At that point, the sergeant and three deputies forced their way in, and Conley began shooting, the sheriff's office says. Deputies pulled back and waited for the HROU and a negotiator to arrive.

Authorities established contact with the Conley, and after more than an hour he came outside and surrendered without further incident.

The bodies of eight people were found in the home, Gilliland said.

Photos: Suspect taken into custody after kids, adults found killed

"At this time we have what appears to be five children and three adults," said Gilliland. "Ages and genders we do not have, and cause of death we do not have. The medical examiner will have to determine a cause of death."

Deputies said they have received calls at the home before and Child Protective Services said the family did have a history with them.

Neighbors woke up Sunday morning in disbelief about the tragic scene nearby.

"I cannot believe it," said Adela Ramirez. "I am in horrific shock."

Dalila Mercado says she heard gunshots Saturday and later saw deputies blocking off the area.

"It was shocking. I haven't slept all night," she said.

Mercado said she could still see from her bedroom window and watched as a man was escorted out of the house after midnight. She said officials then had him next to her fence, taking fingerprints and photographs.

Gilliland said it's equally difficult of deputies.

"It's a hard job being a patrolman in this town, and our deputies do a yeoman's job every day, but when they're forced to see some of the most horrific things along this nature, especially of children, and someone so callous could do something like this to children - we have our family assistance coming out to talk to our deputies and help them decompress," said Gilliland.

Loved ones of the victims have set up a GoFundMe account to help with funeral expenses. Donations can be made here.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Before You Leave, Check This Out