If your home or property was damaged by Friday’s explosion at the Watson Grinding and Manufacturing Company, here are some tips what you should do moving forward.
If your property was damaged, the Better Business Bureau says you should take pictures and video of everything. Document everything you lost or was damaged.
CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE
Call your insurance agent as a courtesy to let them know your property was damaged. Ask what benefits your policy allows for as you begin the recovery process.
TRACK ALL EXPENSES
Whether it’s to buy wood to board your windows, or it’s a couple nights spent at a hotel, keep all receipts for expenses related to the explosion.
BEWARE OF CONTRACTORS
Be cautious of contractors who are coming to your door offering quick work to repair your home. Take time to step back, document all the damage, and research companies and contractors before beginning any repairs.
GET FREE LEGAL HELP
Contact one of the following three organizations that can provide free legal advice.
- Lone Star Legal Services: 713-652-0077
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program: 713-228-0735
- South Texas College of Law: 713-646-2990
Speaking of legal advice, the State Bar of Texas issued a reminder that in many cases it's a crime for "lawyer or someone representing a lawyer to contact a person for purposes of legal representation if the person has not first requested the call or personal visit."
Per the state bar: "The contact is not illegal if the attorney is not seeking payment or has a preexisting professional-client or family relationship with the person being contacted.
"If you witness something you believe to be improper solicitation, or barratry, please get the name and phone number of the person making the contact and report it to your local law enforcement authority or to the State Bar of Texas Chief Disciplinary Counsel’s Office toll free at 866-224-5999."
- 2 dead in massive explosion in northwest Houston; no evidence of terrorism
- Verify: Your questions posted online about the deadly explosion in northwest Houston
- 'We can not stay here' | Extensive damage to homes caused by early morning explosion
- What is Watson Grinding & Manufacturing, the site of the major explosion?
- ‘I thought a plane crashed on top of my house’ | Couple stunned by extent of damage after massive explosion in NW Houston
- Warning to explosion looters: 'You will be charged to the fullest extent of the law'
- WATCH: Videos capture massive explosion in NW Houston
- Northwest Houston explosion: What is polypropylene?