Update: October 5, 2017:
If you need emergency food help because of Hurricane Harvey - time is just about up.
Friday, October 6, 2017 is the last day to apply for benefits - and only at the George R. Brown Convention Center.
More than 200-thousand people in Harris County have already applied. State officials will be at the GRB from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m.
Find more information on the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) click here.
Update: September 22, 2017:
HOUSTON - The Texas Health and Human Services Department has been offering food stamps to Harvey victims who do not normally receive them.
There are income limits - however, officials said those limits are greatly affected by storm damage losses. For instance, they said even a family earning six figures a year would qualify for this short-term grocery assistance if their unreimbursable storm damage expenses were excessive compared to their income during the time period Harvey hit. Officials said the acceptance rate for this assistance is a whopping 94%.
As a guideline, the state published the income numbers below. But, again, the real test of qualification depends on a family’s income compared to their unreimbursable losses, state officials said.
- One person household monthly take-home (net) income of $1664 per month qualifies for a Lone Star card loaded with $388
- Two person household monthly net income of $2009 per month qualifies for $714
- Three person household monthly net income of $2354 per month qualifies for $1022
- Four person household monthly net income of $2710 per month qualifies for $1298
THREE HOUSTON APPLICATION LOCATIONS Open Everyday 8 AM – 7 PM
Only in-person applications are accepted.
- Greenspoint Mall, I-45 North near Beltway 8
- Southwest Multi-Service Center, 6400 High Star Drive
- Pasadena Convention Center, 7902 Fairmont Parkway at Luetta
Applicants will be given a card the day they apply but will not find out for three days if they have been granted benefits. Current food stamp recipients are not eligible for this program.
People may apply on specific days based on the first letter of their last name.
- Today (Friday) and on Sept 27 last names beginning with A-C may apply.
- Tomorrow (Sat) and Sept 28 last names D-H may apply.
- I-M apply Sept 24 and 29.
- N-R apply Sept 25 and 30.
- S-Z apply on Sept 26 and Oct 1.
- A-Z apply Oct 2 and 5.
For more information about D-SNAP programs in all affected counties, including Galveston, Waller, Chambers, Montgomery, Fort Bend and others, click here or dial 2-1-1 and press 6.
© 2017 KHOU-TV