Raw: Jose Pineda, 17, appears before judge on capital murder charges


by KHOU.com staff & Malini Basu/ KHOU 11 News


Posted on May 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Updated Wednesday, May 9 at 10:58 AM

HOUSTON – Two of four teens accused of murdering a man in front of his wife and stepdaughter for two cell phones and a hairbrush appeared before a Harris County judge early Wednesday.

Christian Alexander Lopez and Jose Armando Pineda, both 17 years old, were charged with capital murder in the shooting death of Victor Quevedo.
Police said Quevedo, his wife and stepdaughter had just pulled into a parking space in front of their apartments in the 13100 block of Bissonet on May 5, 2012.
Before they could out of the car, the family was bumrushed by Lopez, Pineda and two 15-year-old suspects.
Investigators said the four teens demanded money. Two of them were armed with knives and two had guns.  They began to struggle with Quevedo and stabbed him four times.
Quevedo was trying to shield his family from harm when one of the suspects put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger.
“He was trying to push them away from us, like trying to make them go away,” Quevedo’s stepdaughter said.  “Then we hear a shot and then Mom tells them to, ‘Please, don’t hurt my family, don’t hurt my family, don’t kill them.’”
Quevedo’s wife explained how she begged the teens for her life.
“I’m nervous and I’m crying and I’m like, ‘Please,’” the wife said. “He said, ‘Do you have the money? Give it to me, give it to me.’”
The mother and daughter said it all played out quickly and, in the end, the robbers only got away with two cell phones and a hairbrush. Before they left, they turned the gun on Quevedo again.
“They just got my backpack and before they went to their car they gave my dad another shot on the face and that’s what killed him faster because he was choking on his own blood,” the stepdaughter said.
The two 15 year olds were arrested Monday and also charged with capital murder in Quevedo's death.
All of the suspects were denied bond.
Investigators are trying to determine if the teens are also responsible for a nearby robbery and shooting that happened just two hours after Quevedo was murdered.
In that case, a man said four suspects robbed him at gunpoint in his driveway on White Cap.
Solomon Ogunde said the suspects shot him in the back and took off with some money and his SUV.