HOUSTON – An elderly woman and her grandson managed to escape an overnight house fire that burned everything they owned inside the home, firefighters said.
The fire was reported around 11 p.m. Tuesday on Waxahachie Street and Ranger Avenue just off the East Freeway, according to the Houston Fire Department.
Responding firefighters were able to put out the blaze, but not before it did a lot of damage.
No injuries were reported, but the grandmother was treated with oxygen outside the home.
An HFD spokesman said the woman’s oxygen tanks exploded in the fire, which appeared to be caused by a cigarette left unattended in the living room.
Officials said the family lived in the home for two generations.