HOUSTON -- A Halloween display outside the Whole Foods Market on Kirby Drive scared some customers Tuesday when it sparked a fire, Houston Fire Department officials said.
The store was evacuated after the blaze started at about 3:30 p.m. and was reopened to the public at 5 p.m., according to a Whole Foods spokeswoman.
A Channel 11 viewer sent in video showing the fire burning across a catwalk behind the large white block letters of the store’s name.
Houston Fire Department District Chief Arthur Broussard said that is where several bales of hay were located.
“They’ve got some floodlights up there, and we think that one of the bales of hay had fallen over onto the spotlight and it just sat there and smoldered until it caught on fire,” he said. “All the fire was contained to the exterior of the building.”
The fire was quickly extinguished and there were no injuries reported.