HOUSTON – A family of 12 escaped a house fire in Galveston last weekend and is now grateful for the help of community members.
Thanks to smoke detectors, no one was hurt, but they lost almost everything in the fire.
“This is home, this is where they’ve grown up, this is where everything’s been,” Stacy Windmiller said.
There were twelve people sleeping inside, when an electrical fire started Sunday morning around 8 am.
“We got out silly stuff that has no meaning, but you find the smallest thing and it makes you feel good,” Windmiller said.
Five children in the home, ranging in age from 13 to two months, also made it out, as well as several pets.
Windmiller herself had to jump from her bedroom window to a platform over a water heater to escape.
“My 8-year-old told me they were all down here screaming because they thought I had burned,” Windmiller said.
Windmiller is thankful to firefighters for saving what they could—her pets, her father’s ashes, and her daughter’s medicine.
One Galveston police officer even went above and beyond the call of duty.
“An officer that was here went to Kroger and bought diapers and formula with her own money and brought it back for the baby,” Windmiller said.
She said neighbors have also chipped in to help get school uniforms and school supplies for her daughters. But they still need more items, including an infant car seat and money to buy asthma medicine for her nephew.
The family has been staying at a nearby hotel since Sunday, thanks to the American Red Cross, but they have to leave by Wednesday at 11 a.m.
They are looking for a more permanent home.
Click here to read more at the Galveston Daily News.