Family: Man killed in house fire was using space heater

Print
Email
|

by KHOU.com staff

khou.com

Posted on November 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM

HOUSTON—Investigators are trying to figure out what started a fire that took a man’s life Friday afternoon in southeast Harris County.

Robert Mosley, 36, put a heater in the back bedroom of his house in an attempt to stay warm in chilly weather, his family said. Just after noon one of his relatives, who shares the house with him, smelled smoke.

By the time firefighters arrived they said sheetrock had collapsed on top of the man, apparently trapping him on his bed.

Investigators are still probing the cause of the fire, but the family’s convinced it started with the space heater.

Firefighters warn that space heaters are dangerous and that people put them too close to beds and blankets that catch fire.

Space heaters are blamed in the deaths of hundreds of people across the nation every year.

 

Print
Email
|