Caught on camera: Woman fatally shoots man at gas station


by staff

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Updated Monday, Jul 22 at 1:33 PM

Gulf station

View larger map

HOUSTON -- Surveillance cameras caught a deadly confrontation outside a gas station in southeast Houston Sunday evening when a 23-year-old woman shot and killed a man with a rifle.

It happened at the Gulf station in the 6800 block of Cullen Boulevard shortly before 7 p.m., according to Houston police.

Video shows a woman, who was dressed in camouflage shorts and a white t-shirt, arguing with a man near the gas pumps. At some point, she pulled out a rifle from the trunk of her vehicle and pointed it at the man.

That is when the man took a swing at her, knocking her backward. The woman then aimed her rifle directly at him and fired off several rounds.

To witnesses’ surprise, she then pulled out her cell phone and recorded the body lying on the ground.

The victim, identified by family members as 58-year-old Lewis Daniel, died at the scene. A knife was also found on the ground near him, police said.

Daniel’s brother said he was not a threat and was just most likely at the store to buy a pack of cigarettes. He feels his brother did not have to die.

“Well, my brother is harmless, he’s harmless and he wouldn’t have hurt her. He wouldn’t have hurt nobody,” the man said. “She just didn’t know him, you know. Because if she’d have known my brother, she’d have known that Poochie wouldn’t have hurt nobody.”

But those who saw it all unfold are telling a different story.

“He was already messing with people, you know what I’m saying,” one witness said. “Like trying to attack people with the umbrella. Like he was just angry, like expressing he was mad at the world.”

The young woman fled the scene after the shooting, but a witness recorded her license plate number and handed it over to police. Police tracked her down and took her in for questioning, then got her version of events.

Police said the woman was pumping gas when Daniel approached and began making sexual advances toward her. She repeatedly told the suspect to go away, but he continued to harass her. The man then advanced toward her with a knife, which is when she armed herself.

The case is being referred to the grand jury. No charges have been filed at this time.