$4M bond set for Pearland man charged in horrific child sex abuse cases

Print
Email
|

by Andrew Horansky / KHOU 11 News

khou.com

Posted on November 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Updated Friday, Nov 8 at 7:25 PM

HOUSTON – A Pearland man suspected of raping at least 15 little girls faced a judge Friday morning.

The judge set bail for Tad Costin at $4 million, $1 million for each count of aggravated sexual assault of a child. Prosecutors expect more charges against Costin as their investigation continues.

"That’s something we’re still in the process of going through," assistant district attorney Kathryn Kahle said. "Once we have our forensic analysis complete and we have a better picture of what’s going on, we’ll be able to know exactly how many charges we’re going to file."

Police say they found dozens of DVDs and photos showing Costin, 42, assaulting children as young as four at his former home near Clear Lake.

"We don’t know if they’re just asleep or if they’re drugged," Kahle said. "That’s one thing we’re looking into and as we identify victims, hopefully we’ll learn more about that."

But prosecutors might have known anything about the crime, had the parents of Costin’s fiancée not found an SD card they say she left at their home.

That discovery also led to charges against their daughter, Julia Lack, for possession of child pornography.

"There was a meeting that took place between the parents and Julia Lack," Kahle said. "She was shown the images and she left the scene."

Lack, an aspiring model, lives in the Pearland home with Costin and her 5-year-old son. She was released after posting bond Friday.

According to investigators, there is evidence that Costin did not act alone. That evidence includes a hand seen in some of the videos and shaky camera movement, which indicates someone was on the other side of the lens.

Authorities brought the case to the attention of the media Monday in hopes of identifying the victims seen in the videos and photos. Since then, six more possible victims have come forward.

Prosecutors worried that Costin could have been a flight risk. His attorney says he worries about his client’s safety while in custody.

The greatest concern of all is likely for the abused children who may never be identified.

HOUSTON – A Pearland man suspected of raping at least 15 little girls faced a judge Friday morning.

The judge set bail for Tad Costin at $4 million, $1 million for each count of aggravated sexual assault of a child. Prosecutors expect more charges against Costin as their investigation continues.

"That’s something we’re still in the process of going through," assistant district attorney Kathryn Kahle said. "Once we have our forensic analysis complete and we have a better picture of what’s going on, we’ll be able to know exactly how many charges we’re going to file."

Police say they found dozens of DVDs and photos showing Costin, 42, assaulting children as young as four at his former home near Clear Lake.

"We don’t know if they’re just asleep or if they’re drugged," Kahle said. "That’s one thing we’re looking into and as we identify victims, hopefully we’ll learn more about that."

But prosecutors might have known anything about the crime, had the parents of Costin’s fiancée not found an SD card they say she left at their home.

That discovery also led to charges against their daughter, Julia Lack, for possession of child pornography.

"There was a meeting that took place between the parents and Julia Lack," Kahle said. "She was shown the images and she left the scene."

Lack, an aspiring model, lives in the Pearland home with Costin and her 5-year-old son. She was released after posting bond Friday.

According to investigators, there is evidence that Costin did not act alone. That evidence includes a hand seen in some of the videos and shaky camera movement, which indicates someone was on the other side of the lens.

Authorities brought the case to the attention of the media Monday in hopes of identifying the victims seen in the videos and photos. Since then, six more possible victims have come forward.

Prosecutors worried that Costin could have been a flight risk. His attorney says he worries about his client’s safety while in custody.

The greatest concern of all is likely for the abused children who may never be identified.

Print
Email
|