HARRIS COUNTY, Texas – Homicide detectives are investigating after a 2-year-old girl died Thursday night after suffering burns at an apartment in the Northshore area of East Harris County, Harris County Sheriff's deputies said.
The child was in the care of an unlicensed day care in a second-story unit at the Oaks at Greenview Apartments on Normandy Street, according to investigators with the Department of Family and Protective Services.
The toddler somehow got into a bathtub full of scalding hot water around 9:30 p.m., deputies said. The little girl suffered burns on 60 percent of her body and then died at Memorial Hermann Hospital.
"One sheriff came out and tells something to the woman that was in the backseat of the police car. It had to be some devastating news because you could hear her screaming throughout the entire complex," said Artrell Jenkins, an apartment resident.
Another neighbor walked outside and saw the mother's agony first hand.
"I just heard a lot of screaming. I heard the mother screaming, 'let us see the baby. Let us see the baby.' Looked outside to see the ambulance," said Jonathan Allen.
Neighbors said they wouldn't really call the apartment unit a day care, and said the people inside were just watching their friend's children. It's unclear how many children were being watched.
Other neighbors were shocked to hear that something so tragic could happen to an innocent toddler.
"I feel very, very sorry for the baby, you know. I feel very, very sorry," said Carmen Rivera.