LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

HOUSTON -- Firefighters were called to an apartment in far southwest Houston after burned food apparently sparked a fire.

It was around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday when the Houston Fire Department was called to the Winding Trails Apartments on Wilcrest Drive at South Drive.

Firefighters said they found a second-floor unit on fire. They were able to put it out in about 15 minutes.

I was sleeping and the neighbor was screaming, said one resident. I heard the alarm, and I just got up and left. There was some smoke in my apartment as well.

A preliminary investigation indicated a resident fell asleep while cooking, according to HFD.

No injuries were reported.

Read or Share this story: http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/2014/07/23/12035228/