HOUSTON Police believe a homeless man found critically burned in northeast Houston early Thursday accidentally injured himself while trying to cook a meal.

According to the Houston Police Department, the man was found in a parking lot at N. Wayside Drive and Boy Street around 2 a.m.

They said the man was burned on his lower body and legs. He was transported to Memorial Hermann Hospital in critical condition.

HPD said they knew the man and had seen him start fires to keep warm and cook food before. Investigators believe he accidentally got lighter fluid on his pants, causing the fire to spread from a trash can to his pants.

Another homeless man was credited with running to get water to put the fire out.

Read or Share this story: