Tragedy struck an Oregon high school Tuesday when a teen with a rifle killed a student and wounded a teacher at the start of the second-to-last day of the year.

The gunman was found dead a short time later in a bathroom stall, where he apparently killed himself, police in the Portland suburb of Troutdale said.

SWAT teams descended on Reynolds High School after receiving a report of a shooting in the gymnasium, said Police Chief Scott Anderson. The school, the state's second-largest high school with 2,800 students, was locked down and a room-by-room search was conducted.

Witnesses said the gunman fired several shots in the gymnasium before running into a bathroom, The Oregonianreported. Teachers ran through the halls telling students to hide in classrooms.

A camera-equipped robot found the teen shooter slumped on a toilet with what appeared to be a self-inflicted wound, said police spokesman Sgt. Carey Kaer.

The identities of the gunman and his victim were being withheld until their families were notified.

Physical education instructor Todd Rispler, a former football star at the school, was treated at the scene. Witnesses said a bullet grazed one of his hips, according to The Oregonian report.

MAY: Chilling details, no motive in Nevada's October school shooting

JANUARY: Colorado students go back to school for first time since shooting

There will be several days of healing and ongoing attention given to the students and the staff, the police chief said.

Anderson confirmed a KGW-TV report that another person had a gun at the school. Anderson said that a second person was taken into custody but that the person was not involved in the shooting.


School Superintendent Linda Florence said counseling was being made available to the school community.

This is a very tragic day, one that I had hoped would never ever be part of my experience, Florence said. We feel very sorry for our parents.

She said the students were absolutely wonderful at evacuating the building. The students exited the building, hands over their heads, and gathered in a nearby parking lot for teary reunions with parents.

Freshman Morgan Rose, 15, said she hunkered down in a locker room with another student and two teachers.

It was scary in the moment. Now knowing everything's OK I'm better, she said.

Reynolds track coach Todd Rispler told KGW-TV he was grazed on the hip but was not seriously hurt. He was treated at the scene and released.

Freshman Daniel DeLong, 15, said he saw a physical education teacher at the school with a bloodied shirt.

I'm a little shaken up, DeLong said. I'm just worried.

He said he was texting friends to make sure they were all OK.

It just, like, happened so fast, you know? he said.

Sue Strickland, police records specialist for the Troutdale police, told USA TODAY the shooter was a male teen. She could not confirm whether he was a student at the school. She said multiple police departments responded, including several SWAT teams.

Troutdale Mayor Doug Daoud lauded police for their quick response.

This has been a very unsettling day for our precious city, Daoust said. My heart goes out to all the families.

Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber issued a statement of condolence for the school community.

My heart is heavy after learning of this morning's tragic events at Reynolds High School, the statement said. Today Oregon hurts as we try to make sense of a senseless act of violence. Please keep students, staff, the extended Reynolds community and first responders in your thoughts and prayers.

Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are heading to Reynolds High School to assist in the investigation, the ATF said on its Twitter feed.

Troutdale, east of Portland, is home to about 16,000 people.

The shooting was the 74th on a U.S. campus since the December 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in in Newtown, Conn., according to the American Federation of Teachers, the union representing staff at Reynolds High.

This is the 74th time the safety of a school community has been shattered by a gunman. This is the 74th time students, educators and school staff have felt the terror of not knowing if they will ever see their loved ones again. This is the 74th time that parents have experienced the fear of not knowing what is happening to their children, AFT President Randi Weingarten said in a statement.

It is long past time for action. We renew our call for leaders to act in the interest of our children and families to ensure that our schools are safe sanctuaries. We must pass sensible reforms that can help prevent our children, and those who teach and nurture them, from being gunned down. And we will work with our affiliate and the entire Reynolds High School community to help them heal and to restore a sense of safety and security.

Contributing: Kevin Johnson, Donna Leinwand, Michael Winter, USA TODAY; The Associated Press

Read or Share this story: