DAYTON, Texas -- A 12-year-old boy -- who was burned while using gasoline on Sunday -- is fighting for his life.
Investigators say Devin Marquez was critically burned in a fire he started when using gasoline to try to get rid of some ants.
Herman Ancira lives across the street and heard the boom.
It was real loud gas can like blowing up, said Ancira. The lady came out screaming and screaming.
Like other neighbors, Ancira over to help.
They dragged him to the front and put water on him because his pants were still on fire, recalled Ancira.
Kasey Flanagan says this case hits close to home for him. His own son is Devin's classmate at Nottingham Middle in Dayton.
I talked to my kids at my house, said Flanagan. In fact, I had an empty gas can lying outside and propane, and made me think as a parent -- don't leave it unlocked.
The Liberty County Sheriff's Office says the boy suffered burns over 80 percent of his body and was transported to a Houston hospital. Devin has since been moved to Shriner's Hospital for Children in Galveston and successfully underwent surgery.
His condition is unknown.