HOUSTON -- A Houston woman said she went through a nightmare involving deadly dog treats while visiting relatives in Connecticut last week.
Sallie Des Biens said she bought some Waggin' Train chicken jerky treats at a grocery store for her daughter-in-law s dog, Major.
After Des Biens fed Major a few treats, the dog went into liver failure and died.
My daughter-in-law is a med student and couldn t be home when her dog died. I feel so guilty, Des Biens said. I don t have any pets, and mistakenly assumed if you could buy something at any store, it must be safe.
Des Biens did some research and discovered other cases where chicken jerky was suspected in animal poisonings.
In fact, the FDA issued a warning in November: In the last 12 months, FDA has seen an increase in the number of complaints it received of dog illnesses associated with consumption of chicken jerky products imported from China.
FDA is advising consumers who choose to feed their dogs chicken jerky products to watch their dogs closely for any or all of the following signs that may occur within hours to days of feeding the products: decreased appetite; decreased activity; vomiting; diarrhea, sometimes with blood; increased water consumption and/or increased urination. If the dog shows any of these signs, stop feeding the chicken jerky product. Owners should consult their veterinarian if signs are severe or persist for more than 24 hours.
The warning said most dogs have recovered but some, like Major, didn t survive.
Tests are being conducted on the products, but they have not been recalled.
Waggin' Train, the brand Des Biens said she bought, is standing its product. On its website, the company said Waggin Train Chicken Jerky Tenders are a wholesome, healthy treat for your dog. They are made with premium chicken breast filets and have only two main ingredients: natural chicken filets, and glycerin.
The company admits its treats are made in China, but says the facilities meet USDA standards.