Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

RICHMOND, Texas-- A widow said she and her sons had just enough time to escape an overnight apartment fire, leaving behind an urn that contained her husband s ashes.

According to the Richmond Fire Department, the blaze broke out around 11 p.m. Monday at the Town & Country Apartments on Thompson Road near Golfview Drive.

Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to other units, and no injuries were reported.

Firefighters attempted to locate the urn the woman left in the fire, but they said they couldn t locate it. The widow told firefighters her husband died in October.

She also said she had just moved in with her kids. She told investigators she first noticed an issue when she plugged in her Apple iPad. She said a large spark occurred, and she smelled smoke a short time later. The woman told investigators the apartment s previous tenant warned her about electrical problems in the unit.

Read or Share this story: