LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

HOUSTON - A man passing by a southeast Houston home is credited with alerting the family inside so everyone could make a safe escape.

The fire was reported on Kassarine Pass just outside the 610 Loop around 2:21 a.m. Wednesday.

A man passing by spotted the smoke and woke up the family inside.

We kept smelling smoke, and it kept on popping, said one resident. Me, my son, and my sister went out in the back and the lights came back on and then all the sudden we started smelling the smoke.

Firefighters made a fast attack, but the home s attic and roof were heavily damaged.

It s believed an electrical issue may be responsible for the blaze.

No injuries were reported.

Read or Share this story: http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/2014/07/25/12502954/