HOUSTON Investigators say a space heater is likely to blame for a house fire early Sunday morning in southwest Houston.

The Houston Fire Department said that at 12:30 a.m. they responded to a fire at a residence in the 12400 block of Simsbrook Drive near Bathurst Drive.

When they arrived, firefighters found heavy flames coming from the front bedroom of the home. They were able to extinguish the fire quickly.

The family staying in the house was able to escape the fire. The homeowner said that an elderly relative, who is an amputee, was in her bedroom when her space heater caught fire and spread throughout the room.

The woman s grandson was able to get into her bedroom and pull her out. However, she was not able to get to her prosthetic leg before escaping the fire.

She injured her amputated leg during the escape and had to be transported to a local hospital.

Read or Share this story: