HOUSTON -- A southeast Houston family awoke to the sound of their smoke detector late Tuesday night after their home caught fire, firefighters said.

It happened on Broad at Fairway around 10:30 p.m.

The Houston Fire Department responded to a fire at the back of a home. HFD said it looked like the fire started on an outside wall and made its way to the attic.

A family was home at the time but everyone escaped safely.

HFD said the fire apparently started with an electrical short on the outside wall at the back of the home.

Read or Share this story: