HOUSTON -- A woman was sent to the hospital early Wednesday after her apartment caught fire, causing her to breath in a lot of smoke, firefighters said.

The Houston Fire Department said the fire was reported around 3 a.m. Wednesday on Alvarado near Hillcroft.

Initial reports indicated one person was trapped in the blaze, but when firefighters arrived they found everyone made it out safely. They were able to quickly contain the blaze to the one unit.

The woman whose apartment caught fire was sent to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Neighbors were credited with helping another elderly woman escape her smoky apartment. They became concerned because the woman uses an oxygen tank and gets around on a wheelchair.

The fire started downstairs, and the upstairs unit just had heavy smoke damage, said Jeff Boles with HFD. I think the person in question was actually next door, not actually in the involved units.

Investigators said it appeared something was left on the stove, sparking the fire.

Read or Share this story: