HOUSTON When Reid Ryan was announced as the new president and CEO of the Houston Astros on Friday, his journey in baseball had come full circle.
When Ryan, the eldest son of Hall-of-Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan, was young, he served as a bat boy for the Astros during his father s playing time there in the 1980s. Reid Ryan has come a long way since then, from playing college baseball at Texas Christian University to establishing two minor-league baseball teams in Texas.
Ryan has been actively involved with the Texas Rangers and Houston Astros farm systems.
Ryan s contributions don t stop on the baseball diamond. He has spent a considerable amount of time and effort as both a leader in business and the community. He has served on several non-profit boards helping to raise money in both the Austin and Corpus Christi areas.
Here is a look at Ryan's career and his involvement in the community:
Reid and his wife Nicole have three children, son, Jackson, and two daughters, Victoria and Ella. The family lives in Georgetown.
- Started college baseball career at the University of Texas in Austin before transferring to Texas Christian University on Fort Worth.
- Drafted in the 1994 by the Texas Rangers, which lead to a brief career as a pitcher in the minor leagues.
- Serving first term on the Board of Trustees for Minor League Baseball, the executive committee of the Pacific Coast League and is the Board of Trustees representative for the Baseball Internet Rights Company (BIRCO).
- Serves as a board member for Fired Up, Inc., the parent company of Carino's Italian Grill.
- Director and organizer of R Bank, a community bank located in Round Rock.
- A partner behind the Texas expansion of The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.
- Serves on the advisory boards for Ride on Center for Kids, Big Brothers-Big Sisters of Central Texas, the Cancer for College Golf Tournament in Austin and the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute.
- Worked closely with the Miracle League on the initial design phase for a special playing field for kids with mental and physical disabilities in Corpus Christi.
- Coaches youth sports in the Round Rock area.