HOUSTON The Houston Astros will honor the victims of Boston and West, Texas with a moment of silence at the beginning of Friday night s game against the Cleveland Indians.
In addition, the Astros encourage fans attending games during their homestand against Cleveland and Seattle from Friday through Wednesday to bring donation items to assist with the relief efforts after the plant explosion Wednesday night in West, Texas.
The team will be collecting the following items, which have been the most requested by the coordinated relief effort:
- new diapers/wipes
- gift cards for grocery stores or home supply stores
- travel size toiletries
- powdered sports drinks
- toilet paper
- hand sanitizer
- non-perishable canned or boxed food items
- clean sheets and towels (new or gently used)
- unopened boxed or bagged dog and cat food.
Cash donations will also be accepted and will be directed to the ongoing relief efforts.
Collections will take place from the time gates open, 90 minutes prior to game time, until the first pitch, at the following locations:
- Right Field Gate (off of Section 130, exterior Hamilton and Preston)
- Clock Tower (behind Home Plate, exterior Texas and Hamilton);
- Atrium (adjacent to Union Station, exterior Texas between Crawford and Jackson);
- Center Field (far end of Home Run Alley, exterior Crawford and Preston).
In the interest of safety, items will not be allowed inside the ballpark, so collection tables will be placed outside the entries and items will be stored at another location prior to delivery to West, Texas relief agencies.