SAN ANTONIO -- San Antonio firefighters had to rescue an elderly man who passed out in his south side apartment just after 3 p.m. Sunday.
Elderly man unconscious for days found during welfare check
76-year-old Jose Gomez was unable to get up for two days, and it wasn t until his brother and neighbor came looking for him that 911 was called.
First responders said the heat in the apartment could have been the problem.
Gomez's air conditioner runs fine. He simply refuses to run it said Gomez's brother, Ben Jaramillo.
It works great. It works great. [He] just don't want to use it, Jaramillo said.
Officials said the temperatures inside Gomez's apartment topped 95 degrees.
He has been passed out since yesterday afternoon I think, Jaramillo said. He had been on the floor since 3 o'clock. That's what he told the fire captain.
The San Antontio Fire Department had to kick Gomez's door in to save him.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said hundreds of people die and millions are at risk of heat-related illnesses.
Gomez refused to go to the hospital for medical treatment. He said he isn't convinced heat was his ailment.
Read or Share this story: http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/texas/2014/07/29/12657150/