LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

COLLEGESTATION, Texas -- A College Station Mexican food restaurant was the source of the E. coli that caused illnesses in the Bryan/College Station area, according to health officials.

At a Brazos County Health Department press conference Tuesday afternoon, officials stated they had tracked the bacteria back to ground beef at the Coco Loco location in the 300 block of George Bush Drive. While they said it was not a 100 percent certainty, they said it was highly likely.

In all, there were five confirmed cases of E. coli from April, including two children who were hospitalized in Houston. Five other cases were unconfirmed.

According to the health department, the restaurant has been fully cooperative with investigators, and has passed all inspections done by the department. Those inspections will happen more than usual as a result of this incident.

Coco Loco was not closed at any point, and management has implemented a glove-only policy for its kitchen staff along with keeping a log for holding and cooking temperatures for its meat.

Officials stated there was no on-going threat to the public, and this was an isolated incident, one that does not appear to have been linked to distribution of meat.

Read or Share this story: http://www.khou.com/story/news/2014/07/23/12050254/