HOUSTON A man was in custody Friday morning after investigators said he kidnapped his own kids and led officers on a high-speed chase that ended in a crash.

Harris County Precinct 2 investigators said the suspect had gotten into a fight with his wife sometime Thursday evening, and she d packed her bags and gone to a friend s house in the Riversong subdivision.

Apparently, the man loaded up his 3- and 7-year-old children in his SUV around 9 p.m. and went to the friend s house to bring her back.

Deputies said he was irate and banging on the door, so the wife felt threatened and called the cops.

When Precinct 2 deputy constables arrived at the home, they said the man took off in his vehicle.

Deputies gave chase and quickly learned the man was armed.

When we were chasing him, he had a handgun, and he stuck his gun out the window and fired four or five rounds, Deputy Constable Zerick Guinn said.

The deputies were not hit.

Guinn said at some point during that pursuit, the suspect also tried to ram deputies with his car.

Deputies eventually lost track of the man, so they went back to the home to interview the wife.

While they were there getting information, Guinn said the suspect returned. Officers chased him a second time, but lost him somewhere along Blackhawk Blvd.

About 20 minutes later, Guinn said Precinct 8 deputy constables spotted the suspect s vehicle in the Heritage Park subdivision and started chasing him.

During that pursuit, the suspect lost control and flipped his vehicle at the Gulf Freeway and Clear Lake City Blvd.

Deputies took the suspect into custody at the scene of the crash.

The children were not injured and were returned to their mother.

Officers found several guns inside the SUV. They also found what looked like two makeshift explosives, Guinn said.

A bomb squad was called out to investigate.

Guinn said the suspect will face multiple charges, including child endangerment, assault on a public servant and evading arrest.

Read or Share this story: