ROCKWALL Rockwall police say a gunman fatally shot his ex-girlfriend and wounded her companion in a parking lot Saturday night. The suspect was later shot by police after a three-county pursuit.

It all started shortly before 8 p.m. when a man and a woman were found shot in an off-site parking lot near The Harbor Rockwall, a popular dining, shopping and entertainment destination on Lake Ray Hubbard.

The woman, identified by Rockwall police as 33-year-old Jessica Aguilar, was killed. She is a young mother who lived in the area. Her companion, 40-year-old Francisco Delacruz, was hospitalized in stable condition at a local hospital in Dallas.

Police named Anthony Dewayne Lewis, 47, as the suspect.

It appears as though somehow he figured out they were there, said Rockwall police spokesman Sgt. Aaron McGrew. He drove up, and I guess got out of his vehicle. Some sort of disturbance occurred there a verbal disturbance and a physical altercation between he and the female. He then got back in his car, I guess drove around the lot again, and when he came back he stepped out of the vehicle, opening fire on the female and then the male.

Witnesses were able to provide investigators with a detailed description of the small black car that Lewis was driving, and Rockwall police relayed that information to neighboring cities.

About 30 minutes after the shootings, police in Garland observed Lewis' vehicle. The suspect fled eastbound on Interstate 30 when officers attempted to stop him, Rockwall police said.

Rockwall city and county law enforcement vehicles joined in the chase, during which more than one patrol car was damaged by contact with the suspect's small black vehicle.

When the pursuit reached Greenville, more than 25 miles from the original crime scene, Lewis made a U-turn and started back toward the Dallas area. But at least one tire had been spiked by police, and his car came to a stop on the service road.

Lewis then got out of the car.

The officers were in fear for their life because of the circumstances surrounding the whole incident itself, said Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman Trooper Lonny Haschel. There was an exchange of gunfire. The suspect was hit and transported to a local hospital.

Rockwall police said Lewis was later flown to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas for further treatment and was in critical condition Sunday morning.

Our understanding is that he has prior law enforcement experience and served as a constable in Hunt County, McGrew said. Motives are pure speculation at this point. We do know that he had a prior romantic relationship with the female victim, and that may play a part into it.

Lewis' biography said he started his career as a University Park police officer and also served as a police sergeant in Argyle, a traffic officer in Coppell and a paramedic with the Dallas County tactical SWAT team.

He faces charges of murder and attempted murder, with bond set at $1.5 million.

None of the officers were struck in the exchange of gunfire; none of the officers were hurt, Haschel said.

Rockwall police are investigating the shootings in their city; DPS is heading the investigation into the Hunt County incident. But a number of other agencies are involved.

It's a very long scene; we have a lot of folks involved; so it's going to take some time to get this one squared away, Trooper Haschel said.

The westbound lanes of Interstate 30 were closed for several hours so police could conduct a thorough investigation of the shooting scene.

This was the second time in 24 hours that police in North Texas fired on a fleeing suspect. On Friday night, Florida felon Alberto Morales was shot and killed by Grapevine police and U.S. Marshals, ending a five-day manhunt.

Due to an editing error, the status of the shooting suspect was incorrectly stated in an earlier version of this story.

WFAA reporter Carla Wade in Rockwall, photojournalist John Pellizzari in Greenville and editor Walt Zwirko contributed to this report.

E-mail and

Read or Share this story: