HOUSTON An ammonia leak forced the evacuation of a four-story building on the campus of Rice University Wednesday.
The ammonia fumes leaked from a cylinder inside alab in Dell Butcher Hall around 1:30 p.m.
About 50 students were evacuated from the building near Hazard Street and Rice Blvd.
Hazmat crews, dozens of firefighters and several ambulances responded to the scene.
Three students who werein ornearthelab were checked out by emergency crews but no one had to be transported to area hospitals.
The building was designed to prevent fumes from leaking into the ventilation system.
Firefighters gave theall-clear and let everyone back inside the buildinga couple of hours after the incident.