HOUSTON A young boy helped his family escape after a fire swept through their southwest Houston apartment early Friday.

Houston firefighters arrived to the Huntington Village Apartments on S. Dairy Ashford at Huntington Estates Dr. around 3:30 a.m. to find smoke coming from a one-story unit.

They made a fast attack and got the fire under control before it could spread to other units. According to HFD, the fire started in the kitchen, but no one was cooking. They believe the cause could have been electrical.

Two adults and one child who were home when the fire started all got out safely.

My four-year-old saved our life because if we all would have been asleep we d have been burnt up, Rolanda Gray said.

Jameel usually waits up for his dad to come home from a late shift at work.
But this time smoke alarms went off and Jameel rushed down the hallway to wake up his mom.

He came in there and said, 'momma, momma.' And he pulled me out the bed he did the cover and pulled me like, 'come see,' Gray said.

Jameel, his 17-year-old sister, and their mom made it out safely and rushed to the apartment next door.

Omar Gray came minutes later and couldn t find his family.

I thought they were dead because the fire was almost to the door, he said.

But when he found them safe he was amazed by what his son had done.

It was a quick thing he did because when I got here it was bad, he said.

The problem now, is that this family is homeless. The Red Cross gave them enough for a hotel for a few nights. But most of their clothes, furniture, and Jameel s toys are gone.

Their unit sustained heavy fire damage, and three other units sustained smoke damage.

Read or Share this story: