HURST, Texas-- There's public outcry for the suspension of a Hurst police officer Sunday as a video of an officer's aggressive tactics to subdue a 17- year-old makes the rounds on social media.

Cell phone video caught Officer Disraeli Arnold, badge No. 654, running to knee a teenager in the head after he was wrestled to the ground by another officer and appeared to be under control.

The video shows Arnold admitting to kneeing the teen in the back of the head and swearing profusely while walking the young man to the patrol car. The teen was initially resisting arrest, but another officer held the suspect down and was directing him to roll over before Arnold sprinted into the frame.

The video, posted to YouTube, had nearly 20,000 views as of 5 p.m. Sunday.

Kelly Pope, the mother of of the teen who was kneed in the head, said something has to be done. She understands why the first officer quietly calmed her son after his arrest, but she wants Arnold suspended.

Pope said Tuesday afternoon her son, Andrew, was hanging out in Bellaire Park when he and his 17-year-old friend were arrested. She believes her son was unfairly targeted.

He wasn't saying anything the whole time this Officer Arnold was saying ugly, hateful things to him, Pope said. Y'know, 'Move and you're gonna [expletive] die,' 'give me a reason to [expletive] you up and hurt you.'

Pope admitted her son struggled with the officers, but calmed down after he was handcuffed. He was later charged with resisting arrest, although he did have a four-year-old warrant for trespassing from eighth grade.

I was mad, I was hurt, Pope said. This is supposed to be somebody to protect the city and our children.

She plans to meet with Hurst's police chief Monday morning. Meanwhile, the city of Hurst released a statement that read, This is not behavior it promotes or condones in any way. We strive to build a stronger, safer community through our work around the city and will continue to do so through appropriate action.

The city said the incident is being investigated internally. Police Chief Steve Moore is expected to brief the media Monday morning.

As for teens arrested, Kelly Pope's son spent three days in jail, and was released after posing a $200 bond for a resisting arrest charge. His friend, who shot the cell phone video, was arrested as well. He was charged with minor possession of tobacco and paraphernalia.


Read or Share this story: