HARRIS COUNTY There was no way to save Dee Dee s Deli and Pie Shoppe, a fixture in a northeast Harris County community, as in went up in flames Friday morning.
According to the Harris County Fire Marshal, the fire started at 7 a.m. in the 300 block of West Gulf Bank Road. When firefighters from the Little York fire Department arrived at the scene, they found heavy fire coming from the back kitchen area of the business.
Firefighters were not able to save the business, but did save the home the owners live in and some animals.
Two escaped the fire with one of them being treated for minor smoke inhalation, the fire marshal said.
The business, which has been around for years, is known for their homemade pies. But the last time they sold fresh baked pies was the day before Thanksgiving.
Friends of the business owner said they were troubled by the loss of Dee Dee s.
That was my first job. That was my mom s first job. They were like family to us. So we re really, like, in shock, Elizabeth Monjaras said.
The owner s mother started the business and willed it to her daughter.
Investigators did not see any signs of arson and said something in the kitchen sparked this blaze.
The business was not insured.
All my work. But you know, you can t take it with you, said Bella Curtis, the owner.
Her son died in a hit-and-run accident in front of her business just three years ago. Working here, she said, kept her mind off the sadness of her lost boy.
She s not sure what she ll do next.
I don t know. I m going to have to figure that out. But I will figure it out. I have confidence that I can fix this, she said.
At least, she said, none of the four people who live in the house were seriously hurt.