LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Fire crews say a malfunctioning circulation pump triggered an automatic fire alarm Wednesday morning on the Texas A&M campus.

School officials sent out a Code Maroon alert at 7:55 a.m. asking students and staff to avoid The Cain building.

Firefighters discovered that a machine used to clean the parts of a 3D printer malfunctioned. The circulation pump moves a solution that contains sodium hydroxide. Officials believe there was a problem with a transfromer that caused the solution to overheat. That sent fumes into a room on the third floor.

The building was evacuated but has since been reopened to the public.

Read or Share this story: http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/texas/2014/07/25/12440886/