LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

HOUSTON -- Investigators with the Houston Fire Department said an elderly man died Thursday night after a cigarette he was smoking apparently lit his mattress on fire.

The man, who police said was 80 years old, was found dead inside his apartment just after 11:15 p.m.

Neighbors tell us he was a grandfather who was staying with his grandson.

They are wonderful neighbors, said Gloria Nation, who lives in the apartment next door.

They smoked a lot though, said Nation. It was an accident.

HFD said firefighters were called to the apartments on MLK at Park Village and found the victim dead after a small fire.

They were able to keep the flames contained to the victim's bedroom.

Read or Share this story: http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/2014/07/22/11954786/